Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Recipe: Stir-Fried Pork with Chinese Broccoli

I'm not going to lie... while Chinese broccoli still remains one of my uber fave veggies, it's kind of a pain in the ass to prepare.  So I do this every once in a while (unless the ones I get are young and fresh, like the ones I'd be getting from my FIL from his backyard) when I can afford to spend a bit more time prepping my veggies.  However, I'm putting up a notice on how to prepare the vegetable since I've had several friends try to make this at home with no success.  Hopefully this helps!  Enjoy!


What you'll need:
-   ~0.5lbs of pork, sliced into bite-sized pieces


-  1 tsp baking soda
-  3 - 5 tbsp of coconut aminos
-  couple generous dashes of ground white pepper


-  8 - 12 Chinese broccoli, blanched

The lovely veggies to be consumed later

One of the broccoli

Snap off the leaves at the base

On leaves with petioles about the size of your pinkie finger or larger, just snap from the actual leaf.  Petiole goes into the wash bin with the other stems.

If the leaf itself is uber large, just break it apart into smaller pieces

On leaves where the petioles are rather small and skinny...

Just break the whole thing in half (it's more palatable this way)

Stem with tip

Snap off bottom end (& discard) and snap off top end (& place in bin with leaves)

Notice how the bottom end is pretty jagged?  The skin here can be pretty tough...

I take a small knife to peel off tough exterior and smooth it out.  You don't have to do it, but to me, leaving the "skin" on is like leaving scales on the fish.  I don't like it.  So I do it.

If the stem is pretty thick, cut it in half lengthwise so it'll cook faster

Wash basin containing all the stems and petioles

Colander containing all the tips and leaves to be washed

Boil some water (enough to fit all the stems and leaves)

Throw stems and petioles in first (as these take longer to cook) and blanch for about 1min

Add leaves to the stems and petioles

Let blanch for about 30sec to 1min...

Drain in colander and set aside

-  1 tbsp of garlic, chopped/minced

1.  Add the coconut aminos, baking soda, and white pepper to pork and mix thoroughly.  Let sit and marinate for about 15min.


2.  Add about 2 tbsp of canola oil to nonstick pan over medium-high heat (get the oil hot), and then add the pork


3.  Cook pork until it starts to get that golden-brown color.  Transfer cooked meat to plate and set aside.


4.  Add garlic to same pan and saute until just starting to turn golden


5.  Add blanched Chinese broccoli and saute, mixing everything thoroughly, for about 1 min


6.  Add browned pork and saute, mixing everything thoroughly, for another 1min


7.  Remove from heat, serve, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment