Thursday, February 3, 2011

Recipe: Peppered Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry

I used the Tamari organic gluten-free soy sauce for this recipe, which technically renders this dish non-Paleo.  However, I got the idea for the Tamari soy sauce from Robb Wolf.  So I figure if Robb Wolf says it's okay to use it, I'm going to use it.  However, Fitbomb mentioned to use coconut aminos as a substitute for soy sauce to make it truly Paleo.

What you'll need:

-  0.5lb of beef, sliced into bite-sized pieces


-  half an onion, sliced


-  2 - 3 heads of broccoli, trimmed and cut (both florets and stem)


-  freshly ground black pepper
-  5 tbsp Tamari soy sauce
-  ground white pepper
-  ~2tsp of baking soda


-  sea salt
-  1 tbsp garlic, chopped/minced


1.  Add the black pepper, soy sauce, white pepper, and baking soda to the beef and mix thoroughly.  The amount of black and white pepper to add is up to you.  To give it a really good kick, I added about 5 generous dashes of white pepper to this.  Needless to say, the finished product did not make it to my son's plate.


2.  While beef is marinating, boil some water in a large pan or pot


3. Blanch the cut broccoli for about 1 - 2 minutes.  Drain and set aside.


4.  In nonstick pan, add about 2 tbsp of canola oil over high heat.  Add the beef and cook until nicely browned.


5.  Transfer cooked beef to plate and set aside.


6.  In same pan, add another 2 tbsp of canola oil and reduce heat to medium-high.  Add garlic and onions and saute until onions start to soften.


7.  Add the beef and saute for about 1min


8.  Add the blanched broccoli and stir everything thoroughly.  Add a couple pinches of sea salt for taste.


9.  Serve and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my husband is coming home on leave and freaking out that his formerly "I don't think I like meat" wife has suddenly become convinced that paleo/primal is the right thing for her to do (after 21 years of marriage!). This will help him think the change is a good thing! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That sounds like a really neat story there! I'd love to hear about your transition if it's all right with you (you don't have to post it on here or anything). It's always really cool being able to find other Real Food eaters who once were averse to eating meat because I think I'm secretly trying to convert my raw vegan and vegetarian friends.

    Hope you enjoy the dish! :D

    ReplyDelete