Tuesday, May 25, 2010

An Introduction

I just bought my first pair of Vibrams yesterday at a store in Redwood City. Needless to say, I was feeling really skeptical and was suffering from buyer's remorse while on my way back to San Jose. What the heck was I thinking buying these funky looking shoes? The only time I ever ran consistently was while I was working at a lab in South San Francisco and would run after work through Genentech where the weather was always nice and cool and the wind would feel so good on my skin and the view was always spectacular.

I decided that I actually really needed to get back into shape and buying the Vibrams was as good a start as any. I was getting to the point where I needed to get a new pair of running shoes (but they weren't in such bad shape that I'd have to throw them out) and since the pair I was looking at (the Sprint) was $80 (about the same price as a pair of good running shoes anyway), I took the plunge.

My first exposure to these shoes was while I was driving to downtown Campbell last year and I happened to see a man running by the Pruneyard. Thankfully, I was at a red light because I couldn't stop staring at this dumb man running barefoot before realizing that he was wearing shoes. Not long after that, I saw an article in the San Jose Mercury News about Vibram. Shortly thereafter, my cousin Henry and his wife Michelle (have been and always be my foodie and sport heroes) started showing up to family functions wearing Vibrams. I started to think about maybe purchasing a pair but was on the fence until my fellow mom friend (and a marathoner) gushed to me about her new Vibrams.

So I finally got around to buying my very own Vibrams and took my dog (a 6 year old Miniature Schnauzer) for a nice walk today in Castro Valley. We started at the Starbucks in the Village, walked up and around Castro Valley High before walking back down Santa Maria and to Starbucks. The back of the shoes pinched into my Achilles' heels rather badly, but this was solved with a quick trip to Walgreens for some Band-Aids. Some parts of the walk required walking through some very rough patches of... uh... road, which made me realize that this pair of shoes was definitely not for trail running... or at least the kind of trail with a million rocks embedded in the dirt. However, I completed a 2mile walk with my dog without a whiff of a complaint from either my low back OR my knees. Whew!

I decided upon the conclusion of my walk that I really am in dire need of some kind of fitness and maybe the purchase of the Vibrams will be the start. Some friends of mine started blogs as a way of accounting for their daily workout to stay on track and I figured that it would be a great way to start. I'm not exercising really to lose weight (weirdly, I'm really not that obsessed over my weight. I think because I don't own a scale) but hopefully to start taming this flabbiness that seems to want to hang around post-pregnancy. Seriously, even though I'm 31, my body already looks like it belongs to someone at least ten years older. As a friend of mine said, if only "lmao" (laughing my ass off) actually meant that: laughing your ass off. Weight loss would be so easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment